Alibaba Group Holding Limited (NYSE: BABA) today announced its financial results for the quarter and fiscal year ended March 31, 2019.
“More and more, Alibaba is becoming synonymous with everyday consumption in China, growing our base to 654 million annual active consumers and extending our penetration in less-developed cities,” said Daniel Zhang, Chief Executive Officer of Alibaba Group. “Our cloud and data technology and tremendous traction in New Retail have enabled us to continuously transform the way businesses operate in China and other emerging markets, which will contribute to our long-term growth.”
“We delivered another strong quarter and excellent fiscal year, led by fiscal year revenue growth of 51% as well as robust user growth and engagement across our ecosystem. Excluding the effects of consolidating acquired businesses, revenue would have increased by 39% year-over-year,” said Maggie Wu, Chief Financial Officer of Alibaba Group. “Over the years, our steady profit growth and cash flow have enabled us to strengthen our core business, invest in new businesses and create unique value for our customers. These investments have expanded our total addressable market and positioned us well for long-term growth. Looking ahead to fiscal 2020, we expect revenue to be over RMB500 billion, reflecting our confidence and positive momentum going forward.”
In the fiscal year ended March 31, 2019:
- Revenue was RMB376,844 million (US$56,152 million), an increase of 51% year-over-year. Excluding the effects of consolidating acquired businesses, revenue would have increased by 39% year-over-year.
- Annual active consumers on our China retail marketplaces reached 654 million, an increase of 102 million from the 12-month period ended March 31, 2018.
- Mobile MAUs on our China retail marketplaces reached 721 million in March 2019, an increase of 104 million over March 2018.
- GMV transacted on our China retail marketplaces was RMB5,727 billion (US$853 billion) for fiscal year 2019, representing a year-over-year growth rate of 19%. Excluding unpaid orders, total physical goods GMV from our China retail marketplaces grew 25% year-over-year, Tmall physical goods GMV increased 31% year-over-year and Taobao physical goods GMV increased 19% year-overyear.
- Income from operations was RMB57,084 million (US$8,506 million) and adjusted EBITDA increased 15% year-over-year to RMB121,943 million (US$18,170 million);
Source: Alibaba Press Release