For the quarter ended May 31, 2016, revenues grew to $287.5 million. Operating income was $89.3 million compared to $85.4 million in the prior year period. Net income was $66.8 million versus $61.4 million a year ago. Diluted earnings per share were $1.62 compared to $1.45 in the same period of fiscal 2015.
Adjusted operating income and margin, adjusted net income and adjusted diluted earnings per share exclude both deal-related amortization and non-recurring items. The Company believes that these adjusted financial measures better reflect the underlying economic performance of FactSet. A supplementary schedule reconciling GAAP results to these adjusted financial measures is presented on page 10 of this earnings release.
Annual Subscription Value (“ASV”)
ASV was $1.156 billion at May 31, 2016, up 9.3% organically from the prior year. Over the last three months organic ASV increased $16.3 million, which excludes the effects of foreign currency. ASV at any given point in time represents the forward-looking revenues for the next 12 months from all services currently being supplied to clients.
Buy-side and sell-side ASV growth rates for the third quarter of fiscal 2016 were 9.6% and 8.1%, respectively. Buy-side clients account for 83.6% of ASV and the remainder is derived from sell-side firms that perform mergers and acquisitions advisory work, capital markets services and equity research. Supplementary tables covering buy-side and sell-side ASV growth rates are presented on page 12 of this earnings release.
Financial Highlights – Third Quarter of Fiscal 2016
- ASV from U.S. operations was $775.6 million, increasing 9.0% organically over the prior year. U.S. revenues were $193.2 million. Excluding revenues from acquisitions completed within the past 12 months, the U.S. growth rate was 8.5%.
- ASV from non-U.S. operations grew 10.1% organically to $380.7 million and now represents 32.9% of total ASV, up from 32.6% a year ago. Non-U.S. revenues rose to $94.3 million. Excluding the impact of foreign currency and acquisitions completed within the past 12 months, the international revenue growth rate was 10.1%.
- Adjusted operating margin was 33.0%, compared to 34.4% in the year ago third quarter. Portware’s operations reduced FactSet’s just completed third quarter operating margin by 130 basis points and diluted earnings per share by $0.01. Excluding deal-related amortization, the Portware acquisition was $0.03 accretive to the third quarter of fiscal 2016.
- The Company’s effective tax rate for the third quarter was 24.8%, as compared to 28.5% a year ago. Excluding income tax benefits from both periods, the current year annual effective tax rate was 28.4% compared to 30.1% in the prior period.
- Quarterly free cash flow was $88.6 million. Free cash flow in the last 12 months grew 9.9% and totaled $299.7 million.
Sale of the Market Metrics Business
On May 21, 2016 FactSet entered into a definitive agreement to sell its market research business focused on advisor-sold investments and insurance, consisting of Market Metrics LLC and Matrix Data Limited, to Asset International, a portfolio company of Genstar Capital. The total purchase price is approximately $165 million, subject to certain working capital adjustments, with an additional earn-out of $10 million based on the achievement of certain growth targets over the next two years. The transaction is expected to close in FactSet’s fourth quarter of fiscal 2016, with the proceeds from the sale being primarily used for share repurchases under the Company’s existing program. The sale is not expected to have a material impact on FactSet’s fourth quarter of fiscal 2016 or full-year fiscal 2017 results.
Source: Factset Press Release