IHS reported results for the second quarter ended May 31, 2014 with Revenue of $568 million, up 36 percent from the prior-year period. Total organic revenue growth of 6 percent, anchored by 6 percent subscription organic revenue growth. Adjusted EBITDA of $173 million was up 33 percent from the prior-year period. Free cash flow of $195 million, up 83 percent from the prior-year period.
Adjusted EBITDA, Adjusted EPS, and free cash flow are non-GAAP financial measures used by management to measure operating performance. These terms are defined elsewhere in this release. Please see schedules appearing later in this release for reconciliations of non-GAAP financial measures to the most directly comparable GAAP measures.
“We were pleased to deliver on our expanding organic growth objectives,” said Scott Key, IHS president and chief executive officer. “Encouragingly, our growth was broad-based, with progress and performance in each of the three regions and in each product category.”
“We had very strong cash flow in the quarter and have delivered over $500 million of free cash flow over the last twelve months,” said Todd Hyatt, IHS chief financial officer. “This has allowed us to de-lever from 3.7 times to 2.9 times in less than a year.”
Second Quarter and Year-to-Date 2014 Segment Performance
On a consolidated basis, IHS continued to deliver solid organic revenue growth. Segment results were as follows:
- Americas. Second quarter revenue for Americas increased $119 million, or 46 percent, to $377 million, and included 5 percent organic growth for the subscription-based business. Second quarter Adjusted EBITDA for Americas increased $27 million, or 25 percent, to $135 million. Second quarter operating income for Americas increased $14 million, or 18 percent, to $94 million.Year-to-date revenue for Americas increased $240 million, or 49 percent, to $727 million. Year-to-date Adjusted EBITDA for Americas increased $57 million, or 28 percent, to $259 million. Year-to-date operating income for Americas increased $30 million, or 21 percent, to $171 million. Americas results for both the second quarter and year-to-date 2014 periods benefited from the inclusion of R. L. Polk.
- EMEA. Second quarter revenue for EMEA increased $26 million, or 23 percent, to $139 million, and included 9 percent organic growth for the subscription-based business. Second quarter Adjusted EBITDA for EMEA increased $13 million, or 48 percent, to $40 million. Second quarter operating income for EMEA increased $14 million, or 68 percent, to $34 million. EMEA profit benefited from revenue growth and prior investment in scaled infrastructure.Year-to-date revenue for EMEA increased $43 million, or 19 percent, to $266 million. Year-to-date Adjusted EBITDA for EMEA increased $21 million, or 41 percent, to $72 million. Year-to-date operating income for EMEA increased $23 million, or 62 percent, to $59 million.
- APAC. Second quarter revenue for APAC increased $5 million, or 10 percent, to $52 million, and included 10 percent organic growth for the subscription-based business. Second quarter Adjusted EBITDA for APAC increased $3 million, or 25 percent, to $14 million. Second quarter operating income for APAC increased $3 million, or 26 percent, to $13 million.Year-to-date revenue for APAC increased $8 million, or 9 percent, to $100 million. Year-to-date Adjusted EBITDA for APAC increased $3 million, or 16 percent, to $24 million. Year-to-date operating income for APAC increased $3 million, or 15 percent, to $23 million.
Outlook (forward-looking statement)
For the year ending November 30, 2014, IHS expects:
- Revenue in a range of $2.17 billion to $2.23 billion, including 6-7 percent organic growth on the subscription base;
- Adjusted EBITDA in a range of $675 million to $705 million; and
- Adjusted EPS in a range of $5.50 to $5.85 per diluted share.
About IHS Inc. (www.ihs.com) IHS Inc. (NYSE: IHS) is the leading source of information, insight and analytics in critical areas that shape today’s business landscape. Businesses and governments in more than 165 countries around the globe rely on the comprehensive content, expert independent analysis and flexible delivery methods of IHS to make high-impact decisions and develop strategies with speed and confidence. IHS has been in business since 1959 and became a publicly traded company on the New York Stock Exchange in 2005. Headquartered in Englewood, Colorado, USA, IHS is committed to sustainable, profitable growth and employs approximately 8,000 people in 31 countries around the world.
Source: IHS Inc. Earnings Release