Changes to Companies House Protected Online Filing (PROOF) Service Will Enhance Security of Company Filings
“We’re making improvements to the PROOF service to help prevent unauthorised company name changes.”
Improvements to one of our online services due to come into effect today (1 June 2021) will help prevent unauthorised company name changes.
PROOF is a free service which lets you protect your company from unauthorised or fraudulent changes to your records. It prevents the filing of certain paper forms, such as changes to your company’s registered office address or directors’ details.
From today, 2 documents you need to change a company name will be added to the PROOF service. These are:
- form NM01 (notice of change of name by resolution)
- copy of resolution (change of name by special resolution)
A change of name by special resolution accounts for the majority of company name changes we receive, and is currently the only type of name change you can submit electronically.
You can join PROOF by using the Companies House online filing service. You’ll need to be registered for online filing.
Amy Harcombe, Filing Service Owner at Companies House, said: At Companies House our strategic goals include maintaining registers that inspire trust and confidence, while also providing a brilliant user experience for our customers.
The changes to the PROOF service are an important step towards fulfilling these goals.”
- There is no legal requirement to file the form NM01 (notice of change of name by resolution) and the change of name by special resolution documents together. However, for us to register the change of name and issue the certificate of incorporation on change of name, we must accept both documents.
- If you’re filing the NM01 and the resolution in paper format separately, you will also need to file a paper consent form for each document.
- You can get the paper consent form by emailing our contact centre email@example.com
Source: United Kingdom Companies House News