VeriSign, Inc. and its subsidiaries (“Verisign”) reported revenue of $306 million for the first quarter of 2019, up 2.4 percent from the same quarter in 2018. Verisign reported net income of $163 million and diluted earnings per share (diluted “EPS”) of $1.35 for the first quarter of 2019, compared to net income of $134 million and diluted EPS of $1.09 for the same quarter in 2018. The operating margin was 65.4 percent for the first quarter of 2019 compared to 62.0 percent for the same quarter in 2018.
First Quarter Non-GAAP Financial Results
Verisign reported, on a non-GAAP basis, net income of $158 million and diluted EPS of $1.31 for the first quarter of 2019, compared to net income of $132 million and diluted EPS of $1.07 for the same quarter in 2018. The non-GAAP operating margin was 69.4 percent for the first quarter of 2019 compared to 66.3 percent for the same quarter in 2018. A table reconciling the GAAP to the non-GAAP results (which excludes the items described under “Non-GAAP Financial Measures and Adjusted EBITDA” below) is appended to this news release.
“We’re pleased to deliver another solid quarter,” said Jim Bidzos, Executive Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer.
- Verisign ended the first quarter of 2019 with cash, cash equivalents and marketable securities of $1.25 billion, a decrease of $17 million from the end of 2018.
- During the first quarter of 2019, Verisign repatriated $249 million of cash held by foreign subsidiaries, net of foreign withholding taxes.
Cash flow from operating activities was $187 million for the first quarter of 2019, compared with $90 million for the same quarter in 2018.
- Deferred revenues as of March 31, 2019 totaled $1.05 billion, an increase of $29 million from the end of 2018.During the first quarter of 2019,
- Verisign repurchased 1.0 million shares of its common stock for an aggregate cost of $175 million. As of March 31, 2019, there was $891 million remaining for future share repurchases under the share repurchase program which has no expiration date
- Verisign ended the first quarter of 2019 with 154.8 million .com and .net domain name registrations in the domain name base, a 4.4 percent increase from the end of the first quarter of 2018, and a net increase of 1.82 million during the first quarter of 2019.
- During the first quarter of 2019, Verisign processed 9.8 million new domain name registrations for .com and .net, compared to 9.6 million for the same quarter in 2018.
- The final .com and .net renewal rate for the fourth quarter of 2018 was 74.3 percent compared with 72.2 percent for the same quarter in 2017. Renewal rates are not fully measurable until 45 days after the end of the quarter.
About: Verisign, a global provider of domain name registry services and internet infrastructure, enables internet navigation for many of the world’s most recognized domain names. Verisign enables the security, stability, and resiliency of key internet infrastructure and services, including providing root zone maintainer services, operating two of the 13 global internet root servers, and providing registration services and authoritative resolution for the .com and .net top-level domains, which support the majority of global e-commerce. To learn more about what it means to be Powered by Verisign, please visit Verisign.com.
Source: Verisign Earnings Release